This was an interview we did for http://behindamillionandonepages.blogspot.ca/
Take A Seat. Get Strapped In. Let's Go For A Ride:
Nowhere! Guardian is our debut novel. However, Sara does host a popu-lish tumblr site which features her art; the Land of Fluff and Needles.
2. What goes through your mind after your novel has been on sale for the first week?“Oh my God, we sold a book! Please, oh please don’t let them feel cheated out of their 2.99!” (Drops to knees and wails to the heavens…in unison…because there’s two of us!)
3. What inspired you to write this novel?Well one day at the cottage we were joking about dramatic young adult romance. We started pitching ideas back and forth about what kind of story we would write if we were authors and the idea just kind of snowballed from there. Characters just kind of walked up, introduced themselves and settled in for the long hall. Once we realised they weren’t going to go away anytime soon we decided that guardian was an audience-worthy story.
4. What do you think about when getting/seeing negative reviews?We haven’t really had anything like that happen yet. I hope we would be able to handle such a situation with grace. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Failing grace, there is always chocolate!
5. How long was the writing/planning process?We started writing Guardian before Sara went away to university. We thought we’d be able to keep working on it while she was also attending school but her schedule simply wouldn’t allow it. Three years later when she graduated we picked up where we left off and Guardian was completed after only four months of work. We then spent several month editing and collecting critiques from beta readers
6. What was your reaction to the cover art when you saw it for the first time? Did you have any ideas from the days of writing/inspiration?Sara created the Cover art for Guardian. But the first time I saw the Guardian cover is a moment I will never forget.
7. Any plans for future writing projects? Any being worked on now?Absolutely. Right now Sara is working on a YA superhero story entitled Legacy (cover art can be viewed on our blog sbrodgers.blogspot.com) and Becky is working on a YA Sci-Fi that will be finished by the end of April. We are also in the process of querying our young adult novel, The Adventures of Shiver-Me-Shingles and the Search for the Diamond Doubloon.
8. Top 5 books
- Harry Potter everything! –J.K. Rowling
- Neverwhere –Neil Gaiman
- A Song of Ice and Fire –George R.R. Martin
- The Fire Bringer & The Sight -David Clement-Davies
- The Chronicles of Narnia –C.S. Lewis
9. Recommended booksThe Luxe series, Bone, Scott Pilgrim, The Hunger Games, Homestuck, American Vampire (for the more mature crowd), and anything by Sean Cullen, etc., etc., ETC.!!!
10. Why read your novel?If you like books were you will be laughing your head off on one page, cringing with anxiety on the next and swooning after a sexy supernatural man on the one after that, then Guardian is for you!